Monday 22 July 2013

Ten Years, Ten Artists: Angela Charles

ANGELA CHARLES AND THE BRIGHTON ART FAIR

 

Sussex born but currently Somerset based, I love to go ‘back home’ to show in Brighton Art Fair and am especially excited to be exhibiting new work in this their 10th Anniversary show.

I first exhibited in the inaugural Brighton Art Fair in 2003. There was a real buzz around Brighton, nothing like this had been attempted before. Brighton notoriously a city of artists yet not usually all captive in the one building for one weekend only. On the opening evening an unprecedented amount of people (including the great and the good of the city) queued around the block to be part of it.



For me Brighton Art Fair offers the same as it did back then - a unique opportunity to sell work directly to the public in a professional yet relaxed environment. There is a real sense of equality between the artists - who range from those just starting out to the established artists that show their work regularly through respected galleries throughout the country.

I am lucky to have some great galleries representing me, allowing me to concentrate on painting and them on building up an audience for my work. However, there is something special about Brighton Art Fair that makes me come out of the studio to engage with people about my work, it’s the only art fair I do myself yet I can’t give it up, it really is a pleasure to be a part of.

 

No comments: